As part of efforts to establish a university-wide ethical clearance for research the office of Research Innovation and Development (ORID) Management Board approved the establishment of an Ethics Committee for the Humanities (ECH) to oversee and regulate the ethical conduct of research within the disciplines in the humanities at the University of Ghana. The ECH was established in 2013/14 academic year by ORID in collaboration with the Institute of Statistical, Social and Economic Research (ISSER) and is being hosted by ISSER.
The Committee currently has (10) members from diverse academic and cultural backgrounds. The background of Committee members includes:
- Persons with a background in behavioural sciences
- Persons with a background in social sciences
- A person with a background in philosophy, ethics or religions
- A person with a background in Business Studies
- A legal person
- A member of the local community
The ECH follows a structured protocol that clearly outlines terms of reference, membership, meetings and criteria for protocol reviews.
The Officers of ECH comprise the Chair, Vice Chair and the Administrator. This body has a permanent Secretariat at ISSER which is manned by the ECH administrator.
Meeting Dates And Deadline For Submission Of Protocol,(August 2019 – August 2020)
All applicants for ECH clearance must submit the following for consideration:
• CVs of all Investigators with a cover letter signed by the Principal Investigator
- A cover letter signed by the Supervisor and Head of Department (Applies to Student Investigators only)
- Investigators (students and researchers) from all other institutions should provide a letter of introduction from collaborating department/faculty within the University of Ghana
- An Informed Consent Form for Potential Research Participants (Subjects) which can be downloaded from the ISSER website
- Research Instrument (Questionnaire/Interview guide)
Content of Proposal for Ethical clearance
The format for the full proposal should be as follows:
- Abstract/Executive Summary (Not more than 250 words)
- Introduction/Rationale (Not more than 3 pages)
- Literature Review (Not more than 4 pages)
- Aims or Objectives of study
- Methodology (Include Inclusion and Exclusion Criteria)
- Ethical Considerations: (i.e. consent procedures, confidentiality, privacy, risks and benefits, etc.)
- Expected Outcome/Results
- Work Plan
- Budget and Budget Justification
THE PROPOSAL SHOULD NOT BE MORE THAN 10 PAGES.
- Work Plan
ECH Forms to download
- New Protocol Submission form
- Continue Review form
- Protocol Amendment form
- Study Deviation form
- Study Closure form
- Protocol Consent form
- Sample submission letter to ECH
- Guardian Consent form
Note: The forms are revised regularly. Please use the current versions listed above.
Ethics Review Charges Information
University of Ghana Approved Charges for Ethics Committees
- Clinical Trials -$ 750
- Protocols -$ 500
Exempt Category: UG students and faculty members with UG grants (UG funded)
The processes for making payment are as follows:
- Contact the Office of Research, Innovation and Development (ORID) Account Office or the appropriate ethics committee where an invoice will be generated.
- Proceed to make payment at University of Ghana Cash Office.
- Protocol is then submitted to the appropriate ethics committee with receipt attached for processing and review.
NB: Individuals, international organization and UG-faculty with externally funded grants are not exempted
|Prof. Christopher Mate-Kole||Chairperson|
|Prof. Akosua Darkwa||Member|
|Dr. George Essegbey||Member|
|Dr. Lawrence Boakye||Member|
|Prof. Gordon Adika|
|Prof. Peter Quartey||Member|
|Rev. Kofi Ankama-Asamoah||Member|
|Prof. Esther Sakyi-Dawson||Member|
|Mrs. Rosemond Evans||Member|
|Dr. Lily Yarney||Member|
Ethics Committee for Humanities
University of Ghana
Tel: +233- 303933866